There is a real issue facing American Men aged 10 to 80 and it isn’t ISIS, Ebola, Heart Failure or Prostate Cancer. It may not even be on the CDC radar but it tops my list at number 1. The biggest issue facing American Men is the growing trend of Soccer being overplayed and overvalued at our local sports bars, and it’s ripping our very souls from us. (see my full rankings below story)
It was a cold wet night on the East Coast when I decided to see firsthand how this pandemic has crippled a otherwise unknowing society. I walked into a local Buffalo Wild Wings where all seemed well. There were the usual kids playing Pop-A-Shot or Deer Hunter while waiting for their parents to finish their 4th drink so they could leave. I also noticed many kids playing on tablets while their parents ate ungodly amounts of overpriced wings. I didn’t really think anything out of the ordinary was going on until I surveyed the area a bit further and found that 5 out of the 8 projectors in the building were playing Soccer and that no one was upset by this. This wasn’t the Wold Cup or Olympic Soccer…heck it wasn’t even the girly Premier League that NBC has been trying unsuccessfully to push on us…it was meaningless third world country Double A type soccer. My Knees almost buckled at that moment. Luckily I was sitting my Fat American Ass on a bar stool or that could have been ugly.
There used to be a pride with this country, that we would help our sick and poor…those who couldn’t fight back we would stand up for. The country I knew growing up had standards and ideals, we didn’t just allow people to get away with things. I sat there watching all of these American Males not do anything about meaningless soccer being displayed on the beautiful gifts China gave us (known as Projectors and Big Screen TV’s). There isn’t enough SMDH’s in the world to express my anguish that night.
There are certain points in life where you pick a cause that you have to stand up for. Some people pick Gay Marriage, Marijuana Legalization, Equal Pay, fighting Cancer or Ebola…well I’m picking a fight far less important than those but it’s still important. The cause I’m choosing to stand up for is M.A.V.S., or Men Against Viewing Soccer.
I’ll keep you updated on my journey.
Hole’s Rankings of issues facing Men in America that the CDC missed
- Soccer being played in sports bars outside of the Legal every 2 year allowance during World Cup or Olympics
- Beer price inflation. (Getting 18 beers in a case rather than the old 20 while price stays same or goes up)
- Colonoscopy visits
- Gender friendly Baby Showers
- Any Event during a major sporting event where there is no television
- The Yumbo
- Standard Definition Television
- Getting warm food at Sonic. That shit always gets cold so fast. Sonic should really rethink their business mission, they could provide that service to do some good, like keeping my beer colder for longer.
- Skip Bayless
(UnAssociated Press) Fredericksburg, VA – A unfriendly wager between two college friends has turned into a nightmare for a local Fredericksburg man.
Fredericksburg resident Duane Smellian, bet with longtime friend Nick Conninger on this past weekends Atlanta Falcons and Cincinnati Bengals game. Smellian was required to eat a bag of regular size pretzels if the Falcons lost the game. Smellian rebuffed the bet earlier this week when witness to the bet, Wilhem Floss, handed down further punishment.
If Smellian fails to complete his end of the bet within the two week window, he will now receive one Mitch Cupcheck and be required to turn over his Facebook Username and Password for one day. Keep it here for story updates.
The NBA cancelling the first two weeks, and likely more, only effects the people who count on money from those Home Games in NBA Cities. In terms of my interest, I’ll mainly miss the commentary of the TNT Studio Analysts more than the games themselves. I personally believe the NBA should lower the amount of Regular Season games to strengthen their product. The NBA has a bad stigma of the first three quarters of a Regular Season Game being meaningless with most players going at about 75% speed. If games mean more, your product strengthens and the revenue should rise. Just my thoughts.
Almost any online sports site is reporting that the NFL Lockout is nearing it’s end and we’ll have a full NFL season this year. Although that’s good news, did anyone really think they wouldn’t get it done? It’s also not surprising that the NFL will most likely be back in time to stick it to Fans for that first week of preseason games…nothing like paying Full price for watching mostly non NFL players with a week of practice.
Recently returning from a vacation in the Outer Banks, I’ve never been more impressed with my liver. A few beers that I had on tap while down there…
Blue Point Toasted Lager – Toasted Lager’s balanced flavor of malt and hops makes for easy drinking and the special lager yeast we use produces an exceptional, long-lasting smooth finish.
Corolla Gold from Weeping Radish – Corolla Gold (Munich Helles) is a golden-hued, medium-bodied, German lager style beer with a slightly sweet, malty profile. Our cases contain 12-22oz bottles.
1. I wonder why during Winter Months my body naturally has the urge to drink Shock top, Blue Moon or a more full flavored beer. Yet during the Spring and Summer months I have no desire. Is there a pill I should be taking?
2. Two Recipes I ran across on ids.com today – Lemon Ale Chicken and Chocolate Stout Cake. The Cake sounds great…not so sure bout that chicken.
3. So a study says that 1 in 12 fans leave sports games drunk. So out of 65 thousand people at an NFL game, 5400 or so are above the legal limit. That’s a bit scary…I’d be really nervous about that stat if I wasn’t usually one of the 5400.
June 30th, 2009 was the last episode of the Hangover Chronicles and many devout followers have been looking for a spin off of this great series for quite some time. “Put em Down” Brown’s great series is still being syndicated at idrinksport.com but we needed some fresh content. I suppose you could say this blog effort is kind of like that last season of Chappelle’s show, some funny stuff for sure, but hosted by someone else and just never quite felt right.
Getting to the destination. I began Saturday with a beer at kickoff of the Syracuse Pittsburgh game and would continue to crush 7 beers by 3pm. Mostly Bud Selects in the beginning and quite frankly, they went down so easy you might as well called them the Syracuse Defense. I then began drinking the tall boys at Buffalo Wild Wings, 24 oz Coors Lights on draft. Finishing up the night at a Tavern with some 12 oz light beers I had reached my destination as slurring was evident and quite possibly I could have been drooling while playing pool.
The Hangover Setting in. We’ve all been there before, the nasty headache after all day drinking. The dreaded hangover before you even go to sleep! A nasty headache usually leads to either throwing up or passing out…luckily I passed out.
The Cure attempt: 2 Aleve. All day relief. Before passing out, I luckily took some Aleve. The brand slogan was catchy, but all I was really hoping for is a solid night relief, not the desired all day relief Aleve brags about.
Results. The results were great, no headache or overwhelming sickness when I woke up. Considering I drank little water and had no real hangover, I would definitely recommend this cure and will possibly try it again in the near future if I’m ever stupid enough to drink that much again.
Disclaimer: The above solution was done by professionals and should not be attempted at home. We don’t suggest trying anything we do at home.
Happy Holidayseses everyone as we celebrate the 1 year anniversary of Brett Light Golden Favre Day!
We have compiled a list of people on twitter who we believe you should follow. Here is a list of the people and the reason they’re worth following. If you have any suggestions, feel free to comment or tweet us @idrinksport (http://twitter.com/idrinksport)
- @ProFootballTalk – Possibly the Greatest football blog/news site on the web. Real time updates for all things NFL –
- @BeerConnoisseur – Publishes a great magazine and consistently tweets festivals and events related to beer happenings.
- @BarleyDine – Great Blogger who consistently gives those who wish to try different food and beer pairings ideas.
- @Adam_Schefter – Although if you follow him, you will quickly realize this guy eats, sleeps, drinks and probably has sex with football…the guy is on top of his game with news and updates.
- @EricStangel – None of his tweets can be taken seriously. The head writer for the Letterman show tweets about sports non stop and constantly has you laughing.
- @KFUCKINGP – Kenny Powers of East Bound and Down (HBO series). If you’ve seen the show, follow him. If you haven’t seen the show, watch it..then follow him.
- @OGOchoCinco – OchoCinco…This was obvious.
- @briankelly_ – Self proclaimed Sports Geek. Stumbled onto this account and the guy rarely disappoints. Outside of a foursquare checkin or two.
- @ESPN_Michelle – For 1, She’s hot. For 2, she knows sports. For 3, She’s hot?
- @ESPN – Nuff said.
I’m sure we’re missing a ton, so feel free to drop us some love, hate or who we should follow via the comments or @idrinksport on twitter.
In 2008, the smell of smoke in a bar was on it’s way out. Parents rejoiced as they could finally take their kids to that skanky bar with such great happy hour specials. I for one, was not happy.
I have never smoked one cigarette in my life. True story. The end.
So why was I upset? Was it because I get my tobacco fix through second hand use? That’s an actual possibility. Was it that I don’t like the Government overstepping their boundary? That’s definitely a valid reason. Either of the two above arguments would suffice, but the real the argument I have is the black out effect. Before 2009, a quick and easy way for you to tell if you had been out the night before was to smell your clothes. If they smelled like smoke, instantly you try to remember where the hell was I? (“Oh yeah that’s right, Skanky Joes for after hours drinks and lap.. I digress..”)
Why am I bringing this up? Because last Saturday I entered a bar named Keegans, where they had separated the losers who don’t smoke from those who do. There is nothing quite like the sweet smell of Virginia Slims and flowing draft beer. If I would have closed my eyes, I would have sworn I was back in 2008 at a Bowling alley. That reminds me of this blog…http://idrinksport.com/wordpress/?p=1115
So to summarize this poorly spoken blog, I’d like to say. That smoke smell is oh so fresh…